st.stephen and st.mary, mt.waverley

A laminated jarrah loggia reaches out to both the Nathaniel Billing designed 1865 red brick church and the 1969 modern church, uniting them and an utilitarian parish structure into a singular complex with enhanced facilities and disabled access throughout. A multi-purpose divisible meeting space resides behind the loggia while to the other side of the old church, a 6m high laminated jarrah campanile celebrates the consolidation of two parishes and demarcates the weekday entry with consolidated offices behind.

photographer: Shannon McGrath