east melbourne residence.

Designed by Joseph Reed and constructed in 1856 as one of three attached three-storey terrace houses, this terrace’s front façade over time had its window apertures modified & modernized, two storey verandah demolished, front fence and entry sequence replaced with the entirety white washed. Fortunately, a neighbouring verandahed facade survived the challenges of time and was used as a template to recreate the poetic interconnecting circular motif timber balustrade with heavily bracketed posts, tongue and groove paneled soffits, urn topped party wall and sheet lead roof. Mid-nineteenth century fenestration was reinstated within semi-translucent render washed masonry wall with colours determined through microscopic examination of paint scrapes. A terraced garden now presents through a cast iron front fence on basalt plinth.

photographer: John Gollings