The four storey mixed use centre utilises the site’s topography to create two levels at grade: a street level providing income generating commercial tenancies with café terrace and parish offices while the church level above, connected directly into the church via its historic tower, accommodates a children’s centre, seminar complex, hospitality foyer and halls with commercial kitchen. Two levels of apartments are situated above. The complex has been designed to operate on all sides: connecting the church to Kew Junction’s commercial strip, responding to the church forecourt with its two large historic oaks, completing the historic quadrangle of nineteenth century basalt clad buildings and finally providing a secure children’s playground. The form of the building is designed to optimise viewing corridors of the 1863 church and 1913 hall while bearing witness to the range of activities within. Basalt cladding is used extensively to relate to the existing building stock while a frameless glazed staircase unites the various levels.