The lantern sits over an intermediatory space deep within the footprint of the 1888 former town hall. In addition to the provision of daylight, the lantern was also designed to ventilate the space. The lantern glazing was cracked, metalwork corroded, flashings leaking, timber framing rotted and cladding damaged. The project restored the cast iron mullions, replaced the glazing with thermally resilient safety glass, replaced damaged corrugated cladding and rotted timber framing and secured all with lead flashings. Internally the lantern has been repainted with battened linings, louvres and mullions continuing to articulate the space.